How owning a dog can make you more attractive

Handsome blue-eyed man hugging his pet dog

Just in time for Love Your Pet Day on the 20th Feb, our new survey of 600 Canadians has revealed that nearly two-thirds of singles (60%) think owning a pet can make someone more attractive¹ – and that owning a dog makes you the most attractive of all. Not only that, the way someone treats their pets might just indicate how caring they will be as a partner…

Animal attraction: Canadians think having a pet is sexy

Love life a bit lacking? It might be time to get a dog: our latest user survey has revealed that Canadian singles think that dog owners are extra attractive.

While the survey showed that 60% of Canadians think that owning any pet at all makes someone more attractive, dogs were crowned the best of the best. In fact, 73% of those attracted to pet owners admit that they’re most likely to go dotty for someone who has a dog. What’s more, 90% of self-described dog lovers say they’re more attracted to someone who owns a pooch.

But what happens if you don’t have a friendly canine to play Cupid? If you’ve got a cat, you might still be in luck – 11% of singles who like pet owners (and 49% of self-described cat lovers) think that owning a moggy boosts someone’s attraction factor. Meanwhile, 5% would like you to have both a dog and a cat.

Must love dogs: mention your pets in your dating profile

The survey also found that a great place to make the most of this attraction boost is online: 68% of singles say it’s extra attractive when a person’s dating profile photo includes a pet.

Furthermore, 71% like the idea of writing about one’s pets in a dating profile: nearly a quarter of singles (23%) say that it’s ‘’very important’’ that an online match mention a love for animals in their profile, while 48% describe it as a ‘’nice bonus.’’ Just 7% take a negative view of people that mention their pets online, while 22% think that it doesn’t matter one way or the other.

Should you let your furry friends play third wheel?

However, although Canadians are besotted with pet owners, that doesn’t necessarily mean that they want them to bring their furry friends along to their dates. In fact, 68% think it would be ‘’a distraction’’ if someone was to bring a pet along on a first date. (That said, the other 32% would find it ‘’charming’’ so it does perhaps depend on who you are dating!)

Even if the pet isn’t invited to the first date, those who start a romance with an animal lover should know that that they’ll have to share at least some of their paramour’s affections. This is especially true if a pet is poorly – 68% of Canadian pet owners would cancel a date to spend time with their sick animal.

What is it, boy? Singles trust their pets’ judgement

What’s more, if you date a Canadian pet owner, you should know that there’s a good chance the pet might just get a say in how the relationship progresses. 61% of singles think that the way a pet responds to a new partner is an indication of how the relationship will go.

It is dog lovers who are the most likely to prioritize their furry pals though: a huge 83% would break up with someone who did not like their pooch. In comparison, only 42% of feline fanciers would ditch a lover who didn’t care for their cat. Furthermore, one in three dog lovers (32%) would end a relationship if their dog did not like the new beau – while only 22% of cat people would call time on a romance if their cat wasn’t happy.

Can the way you treat your pet indicate how caring you’ll be as a partner?

So why are Canadian singles so attracted to people with pets? It could be because someone’s attitude towards their animals is seen by many as a good indicator of whether or not they are relationship material. In fact, nearly 4 in 5 singles – 79% – think that the way someone treats their pets can predict how caring they will be in a relationship.

EliteSingles’ psychologist Salama Marine says that singles might think this way because it’s ‘’extremely hard for a selfish person to raise a pet properly.’’ Raising animals – particularly active animals like dogs – ‘’requires a lot of commitment and dedication,’’ so singles with pets are often ‘’perceived to be kind, friendly… and ready to commit to a long term relationship.’’

elitesingles canada registeration


1. All survey results based on an EliteSingles’ ‘Pets and Dating’ study, December 2016 – January 2017. Sample size: 600 Canadian singles.

About the author: Sophie Watson

See more articles written by Sophie Watson